About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
This is my blog for my first year journal on the Interacitve Arts course at the Manchester School of Art. I dont really know what to put on it so it will probably be a bit of everything, my work, work and things that inspire me and any ideas i might have.

Sunday 24 October 2010

Tintypes

Tintypes! I found two tintypes amongst my family photographs, while I havnt got a photograph of them I have become inerested in the process. I have also seen them in films such as "Cold Mountain" I just like the look of them and the idea that they will last longer than normall photographs.

Whilst looking at the Tintype process I have been thinking about the idea that modern photographs arent cherished and treasured as much as old photographs; is this because our ancestors valued photographs more because they were rarer? And so we value what they valued? Whereas now we can print a photograph for mere pence, or just keep them digitally for free, meaning we produce more and more and they get less and less formal.

Above is just a picture I found of some old Tintypes, they are all formal photographs with just one subject, I like the man at the top in the hat.

2 comments:

  1. are these people your relatives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These ones arent they are just examples of tintypes, I havnt managed to get a photograph of my grandparents tintypes of my relatives yet as they live in wales!

    ReplyDelete