About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
This is my blog for my first year journal on the Interacitve Arts course at the Manchester School of Art. I dont really know what to put on it so it will probably be a bit of everything, my work, work and things that inspire me and any ideas i might have.

Sunday 24 October 2010

Research

It is proving SOOOOO difficult to find a process for making Tintypes that I would actually be able to do!
I went to the library and the one book listed with the word Tintype or Ferrotype in isn't actually there any more, helpful! I did find other books on earlier processes, particularly the Daguerreotypes, made using plates of silver and put into glass frames to stop them getting scratched easily. Here is an example of one I found in a library book;

(AWAITING PICTURE)

The photograph was taken in black and white with the tinting done later by hand. Whilst this process produces much nicer results than Tintypes, the process involves using mercury so there's no chance I would be able to recreate them! Not the safest pictures in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment