About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
This is my blog for my first year journal on the Interacitve Arts course at the Manchester School of Art. I dont really know what to put on it so it will probably be a bit of everything, my work, work and things that inspire me and any ideas i might have.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Red Painted Red Brick

The saying "Paint the town Red" comes from my birthplace of Melton Mowbry, when in 1837 the  Marquess of Waterford got drunk one night with a group of fellow revelers and literally went around the town of Melton with red paint painting the buildings. I was thinking about what the phrase means today, to go out and have a good time and let your hair down; and the literal meaning of the words. To PAINT the town RED.

In this part of the country where I live, Lancashire, there are a lot of red brick buildings that have then been painted red once the brick starts to fade. I thought this was a really interesting idea, all about restoration, especially when the paint starts to fade and flake off revealing the red brick behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment